Wednesday 17 October 2012

Typography: Baskerville

In Graham's session we looked at how type is read dependent on the typeface chosen, weight, size and type modification (italics, small caps...). We used Quark, many of us for the first time ever, to trial how the program worked and to gain a knowledge of software.

Following from this, we were set the task to pick a type and compare it to that of Times New Roman. We were to all pick a type from the list available on the macs, mandatory that it was a serif type. I picked Baskerville.


Baskerville is an appealing font to me due to the contrast between the thick and thin strokes, sharp serifs and the curved dynamics enabling the type to be evenly regular.






I used an article on ilovetypography.com which helped me look into 'Transitional' type. I planned on using the Old Face type as I feel it has more character and history involved rather than the modern replicas. 



I like the fact that type went through this transitional period, altering for a different platform, changing from handwritten to a reformed and consistent form of type. Type which can be read by anyone, depending upon literacy levels, in an easy to read manner.

Through my research I did find out that William Caslon had developed similar types, although it was claimed they were very different...







No comments:

Post a Comment