Saturday 20 October 2012

Typography: Baskerville

Furthering my development into the Baskerville type, I have started to construct my spread which compares Baskerville and Times New Roman, Baskerville Old Face to be precise. I decided as I wasn't used to Quark to develop the spread in InDesign and then try to replicate the layout using Quark afterwards.

Firstly I compared the types in the same weight and sizing to see any obvious differences and document what I found.


Obvious differences between the two types:

1. Stroke contrast is more prominent within Baskerville Old Face.
2. Ascender head serifs are at different angles.
3. Counter shapes amongst the Baskerville Old Face have more character.
4. Both types were set at the same point size although Times New Roman is larger.

As Times New Roman is physically bigger than Baskerville and there is a good contrast between the counters, I decided to do an overlay of solely the counters and the tittle off the 'i'.


I really liked the feel I got from removing the rest of the type besides the counters and tittle, I feel it shows the character of the type maybe giving it a modern twist.


After preparing the document in InDesign I laid out all the aspects of the spread that were required.


The spread works well as a whole and I also have another Idea to change the prominent type to a monotone photograph of some type I cut in laser cutting. Having 3d elements in my work is something I am interested in, similar to that of Snask.


No comments:

Post a Comment