Monday 18 February 2013

Secret 7"

I decided to enter the TalentHouse competition quite late on and illustrated 2 covers, Nick Drake and Nas. You can see my entries on TalentHouse, here and here.

I picked Nas because his music is what I listen to and I can relate too. I decided due to the tile of the track, 'The Don' and his constant references to a champagne lifestyle dropping bars about champagnes and smoking, that the illustrations of Cohiba cigars and Chandon would be perfect.
The sleeve needs no further work as it communicates my message perfectly, the negative space can also be viewed as part of the expensive lifestyle.





The final imagery consists of 2 separate illustrations of each aspect. Once drawn the images were photographed and transferred to the mac where they were edited by way of Ps, altering the colour, tone and contrast. The images were then live traced and placed together where they were live painted.

The same process happened with the artwork for Nick Drakes single, 'Rider On The Wheel', besides it was just one illustration.




For this particular track, I read the lyrics to get my interpretation of the song. In response the era and the lyrics I had a singular man on a Penny Farthing, donning a suit, surrounded by white/negative space. The song for me explains a lack of a loved one, maybe through arguments or another cause which leaves the rider on the wheel to be lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment